Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nurturing a Love of Reading

I have been considering which factors help to nurture a love of reading. There are three things that I can think of (at least!!): Being read to as a child - this is important. We learn the power of books to convey a story, literally from our parents' knees. The night time bedtime story is a great institution and one that turned me on to reading. We then carried this out with our three daughters. Having books in the home - being surrounded by books helps to foster a regard for them. This is strengthened if Mum, Dad and siblings are seen to enjoy reading. It always depresses me when I go into a home and see a paucity of books. Having Access to a Good Library - when I was a child I used to love the weekly trip to the library. I always left (and still do) with a clutch of books to carry me blissfully through the coming week. This being said there still seems to be an innate disposition to being a reader. Of my three daughters, all of whom went through the same "conditioning process", only one is what I would call an avid reader. Have a great day DK

3 comments:

of thieves said...

i agree with all your suggestions -- there were always books in the house when i was growing up and i was always toddling off to the library by myself, just like roald dahl's matilda. i wasn't read to very often that i can remember, but i would always be reading under the covers with a torch, and all those ridiculous things.

another thing i would add is teachers encouraging children to read. i always had teachers that were happy that i read so much.

Grant Goodman said...

Hi estelle

I agree with you about the role of teachers, especially for those children who are not in a book filled environment.

Grant

Anonymous said...

One of the best ways I have found is to have your kids "buy" TV time. One hour of reading to one half hour TV. I have found that they will become so involved in their reading, they often forget about the TV